Meatloaf Cupcakes from First Look, Then Cook


The other week a friend of mine at work came by to tell me about this awesome bakery in Chicago, called the MeatLoaf Bakery.  She described the meatloaf cupcakes and instantly my mind went racing – mostly to the decorations.  Bacon, chives, shredded cheese, black olives, a ketchup dollop on the top – I just couldn’t stop myself.  Then reality set it – but would my kids actually get into this?  Oh boy did they ever.  They begged me to make them every night for weeks, until I finally got up the nerve.  Mostly I was concerned about piping the mashed potatoes, I wanted to make sure I make them creamy enough, yet mildly stiff, so that they would hold their shape perfectly.  Mashed potatoes were never my strength.  Well – I went with two recipes from Cooking Light (adapted slightly), and they were winners.  The kids loved EVERYTHING about these cupcakes – they even ate the mashed potatoes which I have never been successful at getting them to eat.  These were just about the greatest dinner ever.

To read more and view this amazing recipe from  First Look, Then Cook click on link: www.firstlookthencook.com/